Saratoga County

DEC: Forest Rangers rescue two Saratoga County residents Saturday in separate Adirondack incidents



ADIRONDACKS – State forest rangers rescued two people from Saratoga County in separate incidents Saturday, the state Department of Environmental Conservation said Tuesday.

A search in a third case, on Hadley Mountain in Saratoga County Sunday for a 15-year-old boy from Latham ended with the boy making it out on his own. 

In one case, Hamilton County 911 received a call at about 5:30 p.m. for a missing 68-year-old hunter from South Glens Falls in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area in the Town of Indian Lake, officials said.

Six rangers responded to the hunting party’s camp to begin the search. They then broke into groups of two for a search by voice along the route of the hunter’s last location, officials said.

Then, at around 1:30 a.m., the hunter responded to a gunshot with one of his own. Rangers then found him at 1:46 a.m. in good health and with a fire that he had built to stay warm, officials said.

Rangers walked him back the two miles to the hunting party’s rowboat and crossed the lake back to camp.

The rangers were brought out by other camp members by UTV and were cleared of the scene at 5:15 a.m., officials said.

In the other case, a 38-year-old hiker from Ballston Spa reported injuring their ankle while hiking on Peaked Mountain in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area just before 5 p.m. Saturday, officials said.

The injured hiker continued to walk out, but the caller reported the hiker was having difficulty and needed ranger assistance, officials said.

Three rangers responded and located the hiker near the lake at about 6:30 p.m. and advised they would continue walking out. The group made it back to the trailhead by 8 p.m. and the injured hiker indicated they would seek medical attention on their own, officials said.

In the Hadley case Sunday, dispatchers received a call for the missing 15-year-old on the summit of Hadley Mountain. The boy’s mother said her son had hiked ahead of her to the summit, but was not there when she arrived, officials said.

Rangers responded and, with Saratoga County Sheriff’s deputies and state police, conducted an initial search along the trail. They soon received word that the boy had made it out on his own and was given a ride back to the trailhead by a passerby who had seen him on the side of the road.

The searchers and mother then made their way back to the trailhead where the mother and son were reunited, officials said.


Ensure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at

Categories: News, Saratoga County

Leave a Reply