Outdoor Journal: Good time had at Bunny Bowl Hunt


Last Friday, I, along with 20 other rabbit hunters and nine beagles, attended the 23rd Bunny Bowl Hunt. It was started by Garry DeCesare of Lake Luzerne and Tim Guy of Glens Falls.

When we let the dogs out, they wasted no time heading into the woods noses down in the snow. It didn’t take them long before they were on one. I decided to circle around in front of the dogs and set up on the edge of the bushes, waiting for them to sniff out one and push in my direction.

There was hard and slippery snow. I went a little too fast and slipped and fell several times. I have to admit I was out of breath when I crossed the open field.

I could hear barking, which sounded like they were coming my way. I brushed off the snow from my falls and set up on a fallen log about 25 yards in the woods. I did hear one shot and a shout of “got one.”

Shortly thereafter, I heard barking that sounded like it was coming in my direction. I was sitting for almost an hour when I got visitors, but they were not rabbits. First in range was a 2-point deer, followed by a spike, which I put in my sight just for fun. About 20 minutes after that, I saw the high bushes moving. At about 20 yards, two nice toms appeared, one of which had a big beard. I did not shoot, but I did get the big tom in my sights. I am definitely going to visit this area on May 1.

We had a barbecue included cheese bread, venison stew, jalapeño hot dogs and chili. It is a fun hunt to see and hear those beagles. There was a little guy who has been at Bunny Bowl before, 8-year-old Tristan, whose mother used to carry him when he was just a little guy, but now he is walking with a toy rifle alongside her.


Last Tuesday, I decided to visit the Daketown State Forest in Greenfield Center and see if I could shoot a pheasant or two. I took the Benelli 12-gauge and my new Cobra pistol crossbow, hoping I could get a shot at a rabbit.

I began the hunt walking very slowly and sitting in the tall grass/bushes. On my first stop, I had a rabbit, but it was too far for the crossbow. For the next several hours, I continued my sit and walk. I came across no pheasants, so I shouldered the shotgun and headed back to the truck.

But it wasn’t over. I was about 100 yards from the road when, on the main trail, there was movement in and out of the woods then two pheasants stepped out in the open.

One of them disappeared, but the second went airborne and I put him down.


The DEC Forest Rangers celebrated their 50th anniversary.

“The Forest Rangers have been on the front lines for even longer, protecting New York’s wildlife, natural resources, residents, and visitors for more than a century,” said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos said in a press release. “The State’s brave Forest Rangers have a vast knowledge of first aid, land navigation, and technical rescue techniques that are critical to the success of their missions in remote wilderness areas, rugged mountainous peaks, white water rivers, frozen lakes, and forested areas statewide.

“We are proud of the work our Forest Rangers perform and look forward to another 50 years and beyond of highly trained service.”

Categories: -The Daily Gazette, Sports

Leave a Reply