HALFMOON – Two Saratoga County sheriff’s deputies were honored Wednesday for their actions last Thursday when they rescued a Halfmoon couple who were starting to become unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning, getting them out of the home.
Sheriff Michael H. Zurlo presented the Living Saving Award and Meritorious Service Award to deputies Eddie Hernandez and Jeffrey Kaplan “for taking immediate and decisive action to save the lives of two residents who were in immediate peril.”
A narrative provided by the Sheriff’s Office said that the two deputies responded to an emergency medical assistance call from a Halfmoon residence at 2:42 a.m. on Jan. 28. The caller stated that two residents at a home on Oakleaf Drive were starting to become unconscious for then-unknown reasons.
Upon arriving, the deputies said they were met with a strong noxious odor coming from the residence. When they entered, they immediately found two residents in their 60s who were having difficulty maintaining consciousness. Deputy Kaplan carried the woman resident outside from the second floor, while the Deputy Hernandez dragged the male resident, who was on the first floor, out.
Both residents were treated at the scene by emergency medical personnel and taken to Samaritan Hospital in Troy for further treatment. Officials later determined an issue inside the residence lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, deputies said.
Both people recovered consciousness and became alert after EMS treatment, and are expected to make a full recovery.
“I have no doubt that the decisive action taken by these two deputies saved the lives of both these residents,” Zurlo said.
Hernandez has been a deputy sheriff for four years, while Kaplan has been with the department for 15 years. The department said both will receive formal recognition at an awards ceremony to be held later this year.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning.
Agencies that responded to the scene included the Waterford and Clifton Park/Halfmoon EMS agencies, Halfmoon Fire Department, Halfmoon code enforcement, and National Grid.