SCOTIA — The Scotia-Glenville varsity football team will go another week without playing a game due to issues related to COVID-19.
After the team’s Week 1 game was canceled because Queensbury could not play because of issues related to COVID-19, Scotia-Glenville won’t be able to play this week either after “Schenectady County Public Health Services (SCPHS) quarantined 40 Scotia-Glenville football players as the result of a direct exposure to a positive COVID-19 case,” according to an email from Schenectady County Director of Public Communications Erin Roberts to The Daily Gazette.
Scotia-Glenville football head coach Bob Leto confirmed his team’s game had been canceled.
“We are in a situation where we have been asked by Schenectady County to quarantine until the 30th [of March],” Leto said Tuesday afternoon. “Right now, hopefully, it’s only one more week.”
Roberts wrote that “affected students were made aware on Monday that they would need to quarantine. Quarantines last for a minimum of 10 days from the exposure date, but could be extended if they become symptomatic or test positive for COVID-19,” and that three non-football-playing students were also directed to to quarantine as of Tuesday evening.
Also on Tuesday, the Scotia-Glenville Central School District posted on its website that “two students – one at the high school and one at Lincoln Elementary – have tested positive with COVID-19. Both students have not been in school, so no contact tracing will be required,” but The Daily Gazette was unable to confirm if either of those positive tests were related to the situation involving the school’s football team. When contacted, Scotia-Glenville athletic director Jamian Rockhill confirmed the timeline of the football’s team’s quarantine, and wrote in an email that “I am not permitted to share the details” beyond that.
Scotia-Glenville was scheduled to play this Friday against Ballston Spa. With Scotia-Glenville unable to play, Ballston Spa will play Friday at Mohonasen, which was supposed to play Queensbury this week. Queensbury remains unable to play.
“Schools are trying to make adjustments,” Leto said. “It’s so unpredictable. We’re doing what we’ve got to do.”
Leto said his team has set its sights on its scheduled April 2 game at home against Mohonasen.
The Daily Gazette was able to obtain results from 16 games that were played this past weekend, while some teams also participated in scrimmages. More than 50 teams committed to compete in football in Section II during the “Fall II” season, which was created to allow a season for traditional fall teams that were unable to compete last year because of restrictions related to the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Sports editor Michael Kelly contributed to this report.