Outdoor Journal: Tuesday bass tournaments continue to draw big numbers, good fishing


The Saratoga Tackle’s Tuesday afternoon bass tournament again attracted 40 boats, and again the fishing was good. Leading the way was the Burnt Hills team of Jon Ruggiero and Brent Hunter weighing in with 12.92 pounds, which awarded them $815.

Second place was the team of Drew Ziehnert (Saratoga Springs) and Jon Wentworth (Mechanicville) with a weight of 12.75 pounds winning $525.

Third place was the team of Tim Paraso and Matt Belmore from Indian Lake. They weighed in 12.65 pounds, winning $285.

Fourth place was the Saratoga team of PJ Pelculis and Henry Marshall weighing in 12.28 pounds. That awarded them $175.

The lunker of the tournament was caught by Mark Bogauscl of Castleton. That lunker was 4.92 pounds, and paid $400.


It was a hot and steamy day on the Great Sacandaga Lake on June 27, but the fishing wasn’t so hot. It was a close race for the three top finishers.  Coming in first and catching the lunker was John Kolach from Latham with 8.9 pounds. Second place went to Brian Tandlmayer of Niskayuna with 8.3 pounds, and third place was Dave Reynolds of Schenectady with 8.13 pounds.

Eleven anglers fished Cossayuna this past Sunday. Tandlmayer took first with 12.64 pounds, Bill Davis of Loudonville was second with 12.64 pounds — including the 4.5-pound lunker — and John Kolach of Latham took third with 11.28 pounds.


Registration for all remaining tournaments are open at $100 per boat. The Champlain Ticonderoga event on Aug. 21 will run from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., while the Sept. 4 tournament from the Saratoga Lake Boat Launch and the Sept. 18 contest on Great Sacandaga Lake both run from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

For more information contact Adam at 518-542-3803.


Last Sunday I headed out to a farmer friend to help him get rid of some more woodchucks — not with my air guns, but with my 22-caliber long barrel pistol. As a kid I watched “Gunsmoke” every week and Matt Dillion was my hero, thus the reason I have the same pistol he used. 

I was anxious to try the pistol out, and when I showed it to the farmer he smiled and said, “Go get them Mr. Dillion.”

On this hunt I got a little closer to the woodchuck hole and sat down about 15 yards from it. I made a little hole in the bushes and waited. It was about 15 minutes when the first woodchuck came out, and then at 13 steps I put him down. Then, on my way out I shot another and missed a chipmunk. When I stepped out of the woods there were seven turkeys, three of which carried ground dragging beards. Come fall turkey season, I will be there with my shotgun.

$700 DEER

Enivornmental Conservation Officer Lucas Palmateer completed an illegal deer case in the town of Coxsackie that began on Thanksgiving last year when he received a call regarding an early gun shot in the area before legal shooting hours. The ECO analyzed the scene and collected evidence of a freshly killed eight-point buck at a nearby resident. It was already skinned, and was in the process of being butchered and the head and rack in the freezer on site. The hunter admitted to shooting the deer approximately 45 minutes prior to legal shooting hours. It ended up being an expensive deer — $700 in fines.

Categories: Sports

Leave a Reply