Carbon monoxide affects 53 staffers at Delaware County summer camp

Schoharie-845x498jpeg.jpg
PHOTOGRAPHER:

STAMFORD — A detached hot water heater vent at a summer camp is the possible cause of a carbon monoxide incident that sent 53 young adults to hospitals Thursday morning.

Michael Hartzel, director of the Schoharie County Office of Emergency Services, said Thursday no serious illness appears to have resulted from the incident — all the patients are expected to be fine. A representative of the camp said Friday all of the patients have recovered and are back at the camp.

The initial call came in as a report of six patients fading in and out of consciousness at the Boys Zone campus in Stamford, Delaware County, possibly due to carbon monoxide.

Delaware County sent four ambulances for the six initial patients and requested assistance from Schoharie County, which sent two more ambulances. Upon arrival, emergency personnel detected high levels of carbon monoxide and found dozens more people in need of medical attention.

Personnel from 23 agencies responded to assist. The 53 patients were transported to five hospitals.

The camp representative said all of affected patients were staff members ages 18 to 23. The problem was confined to one building and has been repaired.

The organization is extremely grateful for the swift and massive response, and the concern shown by the surrounding community, the representative added.

There also is a Girls Zone in the neighboring town of Jefferson, Schoharie County. Both are operated for Jewish youths by Oorah, a nonprofit organization.

Categories: Fulton Montgomery Schoharie, News

0 Comments

No Comment.