Saratoga Springs man acquitted in 2019 East Glenville rape case; Not guilty verdict came after two-week trial

18Court1.jpg
PHOTOGRAPHER:

SCHENECTADY – A Saratoga Springs man has been acquitted on all charges in connection with 2019 East Glenville rape allegations, authorities said Wednesday.

Jonathon P. Stewart, 22, stood trial over two weeks in Schenectady County Court.

The jury found him not guilty Monday on all charges, including predatory sexual assault and first-degree rape, attorneys said. A conviction on the top predatory sexual assault count could have meant up to 25 years to life.

GAZETTE COVERAGE

Ensure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe

Stewart was initially arrested in October 2019, accused of raping the woman in woods in East Glenville the previous month while armed with a weapon. The two had met for a date via social media, attorneys said.

Stewart denied from the beginning that anything inappropriate happened, Stewart attorney Kevin Luibrand said.

The attorney called it one of the most difficult trials he had done, due to the allegations involved.

“We’re just grateful that it concluded as it did, as we were hoping it would conclude,” Luibrand said.

The jury rendered its verdict after two days of deliberations. Luibrand defended Stewart with fellow attorney Ashlynn Savarese.

Stewart had been free since shortly after his arrest, Luibrand said.

Prosecuting the case was Assistant Schenectady County District Attorney John Carson.

Carson said Wednesday he appreciates the jury’s attention in the case and he respects the verdict.

Luibrand said his client broke down after the verdict was read.

“He’s grateful that he trusted the system and the system worked as it is supposed to work,” Luibrand said.

GAZETTE COVERAGE

Ensure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe

Categories: News, Saratoga County, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply