Scrapbook 1975: Schenectady diners, politicians and a judge (7 photos)

Rubin Michelson smiles as he stands in front of his new business, the former Silver Star Diner on Erie Boulevard, during the winter of 1975.
PHOTOGRAPHER:
Rubin Michelson smiles as he stands in front of his new business, the former Silver Star Diner on Erie Boulevard, during the winter of 1975.

SCRAPBOOK – Our scrapbook this week includes photos from 1975, diners, politicians and a judge.

In the top photo, Rubin Michelson smiles as he stands in front of his new business, the former Silver Star Diner on Erie Boulevard, during the winter of 1975.

Just weeks earlier, the 58-year-old Michelson lost his Ruby’s Luncheonette when the Ellis Building (in which the business was located) was closed and eventually demolished.

GAZETTE COVERAGE

Ensure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe

The retired 1918 Pullman rail car from the Delaware & Hudson Railway Co. opened as the Silver Diner in 1936 and often bustled with employees from the nearby General Electric campus, American Locomotive and downtown visitors.

Michelson renamed the diner Ruby’s; the business changed hands in 1996, once again becoming the Silver Diner. The diner closed in 1998.

The City of Schenectady took the building in 2000 after it had accrued unpaid taxes. It was demolished in 2009 .

Photos from the Ruby’s days — and others from the winter of 1975 — are on today’s Capital Region Scrapbook menu.

Gazette file photos by Sid Brown and Ed Schultz

.

.

 

Rubin Michelson smiles as he stands in front of his new business, the former Silver Star Diner on Erie Boulevard, during the winter of 1975.  GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

 

.

.

Ruby’s Diner as it appeared around 1980. Photo courtesy Schenectady County Historical Society GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

 

.

.

Rubin Michelson stands behind the cash register of his Ruby’s Luncheonette in the Ellis Building on Erie Boulevard as he and waitresses Beverly Becker, left, and Sandy Tessitore, prepare to close down the business in January 1975. Michelson and his crew would quickly recover, moving to the nearby Silver Star Diner. GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

.

.

GAZETTE COVERAGE

Ensure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
City Court Judge Romolo Versaci, third from right, takes his oath of office from Mayor Frank J. Duci (far right) in January 1975. Supporting Versaci at the City Hall ceremony are, from left, brother Antonio Versaci, sister Ida Versaci, sister Enis Versaci, brother Armond Versaci, mother Amalia Versaci, Judge Versaci’s wife Eileen and son Vincent Versaci, 3. Versaci was appointed to the judicial post to succeed William J. Quinn, who began duties as a Supreme Court justice that month. Versaci later served as assistant corporation counsel from 1980 to 1989. He died in 2011. GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

.

.

 

Members of the committee planning the February 1975 victory celebration for Lt. Gov. Mary Anne Krupsak prepare invitations to the dinner in January. From left are Ben Spadaro, Lydia Eis, Carl Sand and Sally Lester. GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

.

.

 

New City Court Judge Romolo Versaci, left, discusses court operations with his staff on January 6, 1975. Standing next to Versaci from left are Arthur Pasquariello, Clementine Pajak, Gail Chmielinski and William Price. GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

.

.

 

Lt. Governor Mary Anne Krupsak stands with Democrat friends during a testimonial dinner for Schenectady County Democratic Chairman Francis C. Behan in January 1975. From left are Rep. Samuel S. Stratton, Rotterdam Town Supervisor John F. Kirvin, Stanley Niemic and Behan. Krupsak was lieutenant governor from 1975 to 1978 and was the first woman to hold the office. A native of Schenectady, Krupsak grew up in Amsterdam.

.

.

GAZETTE COVERAGE

Ensure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe

Categories: Life and Arts, News, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply