City firefighters say the cause of a fire that killed a 4-year-old girl in the Mont Pleasant neighborhood on Jan. 15 appears to be electrical in nature.
“It is not suspicious,” said Asst. Fire Chief Don Mareno on Friday.
Schenectady firefighters responded to the two-family duplex at 1132 Sixth Ave. at around 3:20 a.m. for reports of a fire.
They were able to get people out of the building, including the 4-year-old girl who has been identified as Alana Sego. Sego was treated by paramedics and transported to Ellis Hospital, where she later died.
Her father suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the blaze and told fire officials he was hurt trying to get his children out of the building, Mareno had said.
In all, nine people were inside the building. Six were upstairs; besides the 4-year-old and her father, there was another adult and three children, along with pets. Three people occupied the downstairs unit.
The building’s second floor sustained the brunt of the damage from fire, smoke and water, while the first floor experienced water damage.
The two-family property is owned by Rashree Pirtam and has a listed market value of $84,344, according to the 2021 city assessment roll.
The owner could not be reached for comment.
Mareno said many people use more electricity in the winter and many homes have older wiring in them.
Mareno said people in older homes may want to have an electrician check their wiring. They also should not use extension cords and should be mindful of overloading a circuit.
Shenandoah Briere can be reached at [email protected]