SUMMER TRAVEL – With gas prices and airline tickets sky high this summer, more Americans are turning their eyes to regional destinations for their getaway plans.
Fortunately the Northeast is chockablock with world-class summer spots.
To help our readers plan their summer escapes, we’re showcasing a mix of some longtime favorite destinations and some lesser-known locales in the region, where the beaches, hotel pools and gift shops will be quieter but the experiences will still be memorable.
Places like Rhinebeck, New York; Northampton, Massachusetts; and Gillette Castle in East Haddam, Connecticut, among many others. Enjoy!
- Hudson Valley: Hudson Valley charm, art and dining — without the crowds
- Schoharie County: Venture southwest for Valley’s many gems in Schoharie County
- Niagara Falls: Feel the spray, hear the roar, savor the beauty at Niagara Falls
- Niagara Falls: And don’t forget Niagara Falls’ Canadian side!
- Saranac Lake: Still offering a breath of fresh air at Saranac Lake
- Essex: Historic scenes, great hiking in Essex on the Champlain coast
- Northeast: Minor league baseball parks offer fun for the whole family
- Burlington, Vermont: Small-town charm with world-class outdoor activities in Burlington, Vt.
- Manchester, Vermont: Presidential history, fly fishing and more in Manchester, Vt.
- Southern Vermont: ‘A different feeling here’: Mountain scenery, places to disconnect in southern Vermont
- Lenox, Mass.: Small-town feel, big-city culture in Lenox, Mass.
- Northampton, Mass.: ‘A very welcoming, open place’ for all in Northampton, Mass.
- Cape Cod, Mass.: From history to seafood, a taste of New England on Cape Cod
- East Haddom, Conn.: Sherlock Holmes intrigue above the Connecticut River in East Haddam, Conn.
- Newport, R.I.: A seaside resort rich in history, scenery in Newport, R.I.
- Block Island, R.I.: New England oasis off the coast at Block Island, R.I.
- Quebec City: Bridging centuries, cultures in Quebec City