Saratoga Co. Fire Coordinator: No cause determined in Halfmoon apartment fire

The burned out Mohawk Terrace Apartments building Wednesday. 
PHOTOGRAPHER:

The burned out Mohawk Terrace Apartments building Wednesday. 

HALFMOON – The apartment building hit by fire Monday in Halfmoon’s Mohawk Terrace Apartment Complex must be inspected by an engineer following a fire, an official said Wednesday. 

“No cause was determined,” said Ed Trembly, the Saratoga County Fire Coordinator Wednesday. He did not offer further information on the investigation. 

The Red Cross is aiding 20 adults and five children after the fire, providing financial assistance and other necessities like food and clothes, according to a Facebook post Tuesday by the organization. 

“Volunteers also offered health services, emotional support, and comfort kits containing personal care items and stuffed animals for the children,” the post stated. “Additional residents are meeting with Red Cross staff. In the coming days, Red Cross personnel will remain available to help those affected by the fire as they navigate the road to recovery.”

Firefighters from several departments responded around 1:15 p.m. Monday to reports of an apartment building on fire. Trembly was on scene within a minute because he also lives in the complex, he said. 

“It already was well involved at time of call,” he said. 

The crew battled flames for several hours until the scene was cleared around 9 p.m., Trembly said. However, firefighters were back around 4 a.m. Tuesday.

“There were a lot of areas which were not accessible for overhaul,” he said. 

Trembly said during the fire two people had to be rescued from their balconies and a person sleeping was located and removed by firefighters from one of the apartments. 

He said during the fire crews also had to battle 83-degree weather, which meant hydration was critical.

“It’s hard to get crews to take time when they are working,” he said. 

There were no serious injuries, but the two people rescued from their balconies were looked at for smoke exposure, Trembly said.

There is currently a sign on the building Wednesday stating it cannot be occupied and Trembly said he has not heard back from an engineer regarding an inspection of it. 

Owner Jean Hoffman declined to speak at the time of the fire, only indicating it was a 24 unit building, of which two units were currently unoccupied. She could not be reached for further comment Wednesday afternoon. 

Some residents have begun updating friends, family and community members online regarding the fire. A search is still underway for Tigger, a brown and black striped cat that escaped the fire but cannot be found by its owners Christopher Jupin and Chelsea Hirschey. People can call the owners at 315-489-0250 if they find the cat. 

Categories: Clifton Park and Halfmoon, News, Saratoga County

0 Comments

No Comment.