The body of a Schenectady man was recovered from Lake Ontario Friday, the victim of what authorities said was an accidental drowning.
A number of rescue agencies, including State Police and the U.S. Coast Guard, responded to a report of a drowning in Lake Ontario at around 1 p.m. in the village of Sandy Creek, Oswego County.
The victim, 65-year-old George D. Vitetta, was last seen swimming to shore before he was swept under by a wave and never resurfaced, according to a Coast Guard news release.
“My deepest condolences to the family of the victim who unfortunately had to witness this event unfold,” Coast Guard Capt. Mark Kuperman, said in a statement.
A number of local agencies were called in to assist in the recover effort:
- Oswego County Fire Coordinator’s Office.
- Sand Creek Fire Department
- Ringgold Fire Department
- Phoenix Fire Department
- Minetto Fire Department
- Oswego County Mobile Cascade Unit
- Oswego County Sheriff’s Department
- Oswego County Dive Team
- New York State Park Police
- Northern Oswego County Ambulance
- Jefferson County STAR nit
- United States Coast Guard
- Ft. Drum Aviation
Contact reporter Chad Arnold at: [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @ChadGArnold.