BALLSTON SPA – A 14-year-old Milton boy has been charged in a Monday Ballston Spa schools threat that led to an increased police presence, Saratoga County Sheriff’s officials said.
The boy, who was not named due to his age, was charged with three misdemeanors, providing a false written statement, making a threat of mass harm and third-degree falsely reporting an incident, officials said.
The boy was referred to the Saratoga County Probation Department.
The investigation began Sunday evening when officials received a call from a resident reporting their juvenile son had earlier that evening received a Snap Chat message that contained a threat of a school shooting at the Ballston Spa Central School District.
Investigators soon identified the suspect and determined the person did not have the means to carry out the threat and the threat was not credible.
The incident, however, led to additional sheriff’s patrols at Ballston Spa schools.