ALBANY — On both sides of the ball, the UAlbany football team had Central Connecticut State seeing Greaney on Saturday.
UAlbany scored three touchdowns in the third quarter to pull away from the Blue Devils for a 45-26 win, with brothers Joseph and Thomas Greaney handling all the scoring for the Great Danes in that stanza. Defensive tackle Joseph Greaney returned a fumble 77 yards for a touchdown, and tight end Thomas Greaney caught touchdown passes of 22 and 6 yards for quarterback Reese Poffenbarger as UAlbany (1-3 overall) picked up its first win of the season.
Running back Todd Sibley led the charge for the UAlbany offense, carrying the ball 18 times for 190 yards, including a 97-yard touchdown on the game’s first offensive snap. Poffenbarger was 18 of 26 for 257 yards with a pair of touchdowns to Thomas Greaney, who caught six passes for 87 yards. Backup quarterback Joey Carino added a pair of goal-line touchdown runs.
UAlbany is off next week before heading back into CAA play on Oct. 8 at Monmouth.
- Central Connecticut State 6 6 8 6 — 26
- UAlbany 14 10 21 0 — 45
- UA — Sibley 97 run (Opalko kick)
- CCSU — Smith 4 run (kick failed)
- UA — Carino 4 run (Opalko kick)
- UA — Opalko 29 field goal
- CCSU — Surratt 17 pass from Mitchell (run failed)
- UA — Carino 2 run (Opalko kick)
- UA — J. Greaney 77 fumble return (Opalko kick)
- UA — T. Greaney 22 pass from Poffenbarger (Opalko kick)
- CCSU — Suratt 65 pass from Mitchell (Smith run)
- UA — T. Greaney 6 pass from Poffenbarger (Opalko kick)
- CCSU — Thomas 9 run (kick failed)