CAPITAL REGION – Throughout the Capital Region there are a myriad of events for the whole family to get together and honor fallen service members. From memorial ceremonies to parades, The Daily Gazette compiled this list:
- The 61st annual Rotterdam Memorial Day service will take place at 2 p.m. on Monday, May 29 at the Rotterdam Town Hall monument located 1100 Sunrise Blvd.
- A Memorial Day service will be held at 10:30 a.m. on May 29 at Vale Cemetery at 907 State St. in Schenectady.
- Another service will be held at 11:30 a.m. on Monday at Veterans Park on State Street in Schenectady.
- Ballston Spa will holds its annual Memorial Day parade Saturday at 9 a.m. The parade will begin along Doubleday Avenue across from Carousel Village. The parade will pause for a ceremony at the Kayderosseras Creek bridge then continue along Milton Avenue to Front Street. Activities in Veterans Park include placing of wreaths, a rifle salute, invocation, a Memorial Day address, a reading of the Gettysburg Address, flag raising, taps, closing benediction, followed by a reception in Wiswall Park.
- A Memorial Day service will be held at 2 p.m. on Sunday at Veterans Memorial Park in the town of Florida, at 214 Fort Hunter Road. The event will include a re-dedication of the town’s World War I artillery cannon, guest speaker Montgomery County District Attorney Lorraine Diamond, and placement of the Memorial Day wreath.
- The John J. Wyszomirski American Legion Post 701 will conduct Memorial Day ceremonies at 9:30 a.m. on Monday at the Green Hill Cemetery, Cornell and Church Streets. All are welcome.
- The St. Johnsville American Legion Post 168 will hold its annual Memorial Day parade at 9:30 a.m. on Monday. All veterans are invited to march or ride in the parade. The post provides the rides. A memorial service at Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Park will be held after the parade. The Legion is seeking owners of convertibles to drive those veterans who can’t march. If interested in lending a vehicle to the event, contact Tim at 518-207-6943 or email [email protected].
- The town of Glen will host a Memorial Day parade at noon on Monday. The Fire Department will lead the parade route and head west on Route 161 to the Village Green between Logtown Road and Route 30A. A ceremony honoring veterans will be hosted afterwards at the Village Green.. In the event of rain, the ceremony will be held indoors at Glen Conservancy Hall.
- The annual Gloversville parade will take place Monday at 9:30 a.m. The route starts on 6th Avenue and concludes at Prospect Hill Cemetery, where a memorial service will be held.
- There will be a commemorative hike at the Albany Pine Bush on Monday at 10 a.m. The hike is open to all ages. Participants should meet at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center at 195 New Karner Road.
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: Fulton Montgomery Schoharie, News, News, Saratoga County, Schenectady County