Subscriber login

News
What you need to know for 07/27/2017

Scotia fire blamed on electrical issue

Scotia fire blamed on electrical issue

The fire that killed a service dog on Friday was believed to be caused by an electrical problem.

The fire that killed a service dog on Friday was believed to be caused by an electrical problem.

Firefighters battled a blaze at a small home at 515 S. Holmes St. Residents escaped from the structure.

Fire Chief Richard Kasko said Saturday said the cause appears to be accidental in nature. Judging from the burn pattern, it appeared to have been caused by an electrical malfunction in the upstairs bedroom, he said. There were combustible materials in the vicinity. Kasko said he is still waiting on the results of tests.

Kasko described the dog as very large but did not know the breed or the type of service the animal provided. Its owner has been identified as Margaret Montgomery. Kasko said she and her husband are American Indians and have taken the remains to provide for a sacred burial as part of an event they are attending this weekend.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium 5 premium 6 premium 7 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In