A 40-year-old man is dead following a shooting early Monday morning.
Police received a 911 call at 7:25 a.m. reporting that multiple shots were fired inside the residence at 933 Albany St. When officers arrived, they found Ulysses Canty inside. He was transported to Ellis Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
An autopsy revealed that Canty was struck once in the arm. The bullet then passed into his chest cavity where it struck his heart, killing him.
No arrests have been made and no further details were available. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 788-6566.
Authorities have not verified Canty’s address. A police blotter item that ran on Aug. 25 in the newspaper listed a Ulysses Canty as living on Crane Street. He was charged on July 31 with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and first-degree reckless endangerment.
Crime scene tape was in front of the two-story, white house on Monday. Neighbors reported that they did not hear gunshots, only the commotion when emergency personnel arrived.
This is the city’s sixth homicide of the year and its fifth gunshot death.
* On July 6, 30-year-old Anthony Ruiz was gunned down inside an apartment at 527 Hattie St. Police said Ruiz was there with a small gathering of friends and at some point an argument broke out between Ruiz and another person. Zachary Epperson, 31, of Carrie Street has been charged with manslaughter.
* Andre D. Green, 20, formerly of Brooklyn, was gunned down in front of the Mont Pleasant Bakery on Crane Street on June 8.
* On May 31, 18-year-old Foday Kpoto of Maryland, a Schenectady High School graduate, was shot near Becker Street.
* On April 15, 28-year-old Anthony M. Brown was shot to death on Bridge Street. Eshon Guy, 32, of 304 Strong St. has been charged in the case.
* On Feb. 29, 30-year-old Mary Jeoney was found dead in the basement of 841 Stanley St. An autopsy revealed the cause of death was strangulation. Richard Heinze, Jr., 35, has been charged with first-degree murder in the case.