Five people were taken to area hospitals Saturday after they were exposed to polyurethane fumes at Crossgates Mall.
Police said a hazardous materials team responded to the mall around 4:30 p.m. after a Hot Topic employee complained about difficulty breathing from fumes emanating from a neighboring store under construction. Police said the store had just had its floors finished with an oil based polyurethane product that was the source of the fumes.
Six people were treated at the scene, with two of them taken to Albany Medical Center and three to St. Peter's Hospital. The area was cordoned off and ventilated by members of the Westmere Fire Department until the fumes were dispersed.
While investigating the incident, emergency personnel were called to an incident where a 6-year-old got his foot stuck in an escalator.
The Cobleskill boy's right foot was extricated and the boy was transported to Albany Medical Center with unknown injuries to his foot.