<> Ex-inmate sues over injuries not treated at Montgomery County Jail | The Daily Gazette

Subscriber login

Schenectady News

Ex-inmate sues over injuries not treated at Montgomery County Jail

Ex-inmate sues over injuries not treated at Montgomery County Jail

A Fort Plain man who says he is now paralyzed is suing St. Mary's Hospital and the Montgomery County

A man who jumped out of a third-story window while fleeing police is suing a hospital, medical staff and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s department alleging he was misdiagnosed and mistreated while in custody.

Edward L. Dixon, 31, of Fort Plain, filed suit Oct. 28 against St. Mary’s Hospital, members of its medical imaging staff and the county jail.

Police at the time said they noticed Dixon entering a Fort Plain residence from which an order of protection barred him. Police who went into the apartment couldn’t find Dixon until they looked out an open window on the third floor saw Dixon curled up on the ground and injured from apparently leaping out the window.

According to the lawsuit filed by Gloversville attorney Robert Abdella, Dixon was brought to the hospital’s emergency room and, after an evaluation and some medical imaging, was diagnosed with “leg contusions.”

But the lawsuit contends one of the medical images taken that day shows Dixon suffered a fractured vertebra after the fall.

Dixon was not admitted to the hospital and instead was soon jailed, where, the lawsuit alleges, his complaints of pain were ignored and he was moved forcibly when he complained of inability to walk.

Dixon is now a paraplegic, according to the lawsuit.

He was using a wheelchair earlier this year when sentenced to five years of probation on the felony criminal contempt charge.

Dixon is seeking unspecified damages.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Thank you for reading. You have reached your 30-day premium content limit.
Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber or if you are a current print subscriber activate your online access.