A grease fire this morning destroyed Hot Dog Charlie’s, damaged a next door tavern and left six people homeless along Second Avenue in the city’s Lansingburgh section, authorities said.
Hot Dog Charlie’s, a local landmark, opened in 1922 in a wooden building that dates to 1787.
Fire officials said the fire started in a fryer in the rear of Hot Dog Charlie’s and spread to Trader Ed’s Nautical Pub and Restaurant next door. The tavern was damaged, but the owner expects to reopen. That building also dates to 1787.
The American Red Cross of Northeastern New York said it gave emergency aid to three families, representing six people, after the fire destroyed several apartments above the buildings.
Disaster Action Team volunteers responded to the scene at approximately 12:30 p.m. after being contacted by local officials. Volunteers have worked with each family to provide free aid including temporary shelter and financial assistance for food and clothing.
Fire crews from Troy, Albany, Watervliet and Cohoes spent several hours battling the fire.