Subscriber login

News
What you need to know for 04/30/2017

Chimney fire damages Scotia home

Chimney fire damages Scotia home

A Thursday night chimney fire spread into the walls of a First Street home, causing damage to the ho
Chimney fire damages Scotia home
Schenectady, Beukendaal, and Scotia firefighters battle a house fire at the Tony DiLorenzo home at 110 1st Street in the village of Scotia after flames broke out near the chimney on the side of the house shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday, November 15, 2012.
Photographer: Peter R. Barber

A Thursday night chimney fire spread into the walls of a First Street home, causing damage to the house.

The fire broke out shortly before 9:45 p.m. at 110 First St. Residents had a fire burning in the fireplace when they noticed a chemical smell, resident Tony Di Lorenzo said.

“I started looking around, and I heard a sound that wasn’t the fire in the fireplace,” Di Lorenzo said as firefighters continued to battle the stubborn blaze. “I came outside, and we had flames on the outside of the chimney.”

Di Lorenzo, his wife and their daughter evacuated unharmed.

Firefighters from Scotia and surrounding departments fought the fire, which spread from the fireplace area into the home’s adjacent walls. Smoke could be seen coming from the wall and the attic, though the main structure remained intact.

View Comments
Hide Comments
You have 0 articles 1 articles 2 articles 3 articles 4 articles 5 articles 6 articles 7 articles remaining of Daily Gazette free premium content.

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In