An afternoon fire caused heavy damage to a single-family home near the intersection of Altamont and Chrisler avenues today, leaving the residence uninhabitable.
Schenectady firefighters were called about 12:25 p.m. for a fire at 972 Florence Ave., a two-story house built in 1940. The fire broke out in the kitchen after a woman started cooking but left the food unattended, said Deputy Fire Chief Michael Gillespie. The fire quickly spread to the second floor, he said.
“[The house] was extensively damaged by the fire, but I don’t think that it will need to be demolished,” he added.
The woman and three adult grandsons made it out of the home without injury, he said.