Schenectady firefighters were in the right place at the right time this morning.
While tending to a minor car accident at the corner of State and Elm streets just after 2 a.m., an onlooker in the crowd at the scene noticed flames shooting through the roof of a home at 16 Elm St.
A fire crew quickly ran to the scene, while calling for more units, to make sure no one was inside or hurt. Deputy Fire Chief Raymond Senecal said the blaze began in the ceiling of the second floor as an electrical fire.
“It could have been smoldering for hours,” he said. “It had burnt all the way up through the attic roof before it was noticed by somebody.”
No one was home at the time of the fire. Senecal said two adults live there.
The two-story home was built in 1920 and had its electrical wiring in the area between the second-story ceiling and attic floor. The home sustained considerable damage and is currently uninhabitable, he said, but he estimated it can be rebuilt.