Subscriber login

Welcome to our new site. You will need to reset your password if this is your first time logging in. Please click here to reset your password.
What you need to know for 01/16/2017

Schenectady kidnap suspect admits to separate weapon charge

Schenectady kidnap suspect admits to separate weapon charge

A Schenectady man facing charges that he kidnapped a woman and then tried to collect ransom admitted

A Schenectady man facing charges that he kidnapped a woman and then tried to collect ransom admitted to an unrelated weapon charge Thursday.

Frank Peace, 36, pleaded guilty in federal court to one count of possessing ammunition by a prohibited person. Peace cannot own a gun or ammunition due to a prior felony conviction.

He faces up to 10 years in federal prison, though he would be able to appeal any sentence above 5 years, 3 months. The final sentence is up to the judge.

Peace admitted to having more than 100 rounds of Speer and Hornady .40-caliber ammunition at his residence. The cartridges were found during a search by Schenectady police detectives, according to papers filed earlier in federal court.

Peace was arrested on the ammunition count in August. He had been free since May on a $50,000 bond connected to the kidnapping case.

Peace, of 412 Gifford St., is accused of kidnapping the woman, threatening her at gunpoint and attempting to ransom her for $2,000. He was charged in April with one count each of second-degree kidnapping, first-degree unlawful imprisonment and second-degree attempted grand larceny, all felonies, along with misdemeanor charges of criminal possession of a weapon, menacing and assault.

He is to appear in Schenectady County Court this morning to consider an offer in the case.

Peace is accused of holding the woman captive for about an hour April 17, 2012, and threatening her at gunpoint. According to papers filed earlier, Peace allegedly told her: “One of two things [is] going to happen today: You’re going to give me $2,000 or I’m going to kill you today.”

The woman was restrained with handcuffs, a gag and a hood, according to court papers, and Peace held a loaded handgun to her head and pressed a stun gun against her several times, causing small burn marks on her body.

Peace’s alleged plan to hold her for ransom — to be paid by the 21-year-old victim or her family — didn’t work. When he took her to her mother’s home in Colonie, in hopes of obtaining $500 of the $2,000 ransom, she fled and notified authorities.

Peace fled when she escaped his clutches, authorities said.

You have 0 articles 1 articles 2 articles 3 articles 4 articles 5 articles 6 articles 7 articles remaining of Daily Gazette free premium content.

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In