Subscriber login

News
What you need to know for 02/19/2017

Stove ash handling cited in Rotterdam fire

Stove ash handling cited in Rotterdam fire

A Rotterdam fire this week started after the homeowner had dumped ashes from a wood stove in a metal

No one was injured during a Tuesday afternoon house fire in Rotterdam.

Firefighters responded to the residence at 182 Butler St. around noon. The fire started after the homeowner had dumped ashes from a wood stove in a metal bucket and left it in his garage for a while, mistakenly thinking they were extinguished, according to Schenectady County Fire Coordinator John Nuzback.

The fire spread to the basement. No one was home at the time. Firefighters from the Carman and Rotterdam departments rescued a dog and several cats and extinguished the blaze in less than an hour.

The house sustained smoke damage throughout and water damage in the basement.

The family is staying with relatives.

View Comments
Hide Comments
You have 0 articles 1 articles 2 articles 3 articles 4 articles 5 articles 6 articles 7 articles remaining of Daily Gazette free premium content.

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In