Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. HAGEL KEEPS HIS COOL UNDER FIRE
Republican senators hammer away during his confirmation hearing. But Obama’s pick for defense secretary still seems headed for approval.
2. HOW THE US MIGHT RETALIATE AGAINST CHINESE HACKERS
Major purchases of Chinese goods could be put through stiff reviews, hitting Beijing in the wallet.
3. ISRAEL LIABLE TO AGAIN STRIKE SYRIA
The military risk seems worth taking considering the dangers of allowing sophisticated weapons to reach Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon.
4. WHY YOU’RE FEELING MORE PAIN AT THE PUMP
Prices are up 13 cents over the past two weeks, in part because of rising crude oil prices.
5. WHITES TO BE A MINORITY IN CALIFORNIA
Hispanics are set to overtake other ethnic groups in the nation’s most populous state by early next year.
6. EGYPTIAN POLICE REGAIN NOTERIETY
The security forces have re-emerged as a tool of repression after spending the two years since Mubarak’s ouster on the sidelines.
7. ATTENTION-GETTING. CONTROVERSIAL. SENATOR?
Geraldo Rivera says he is “truly contemplating” a Senate bid to represent New Jersey.
8. HOAX MASTERMIND UNDER CUPID’S SPELL
Ronaiah Tuiasosopo says on the “Dr. Phil Show,” that he fell in love with Manti Te’o and pretended to be his online girlfriend.
9. SINGER ADDRESSES ‘BEYONCE-GATE’
She admits performing to a pre-recorded track at Obama’s inauguration. But she pledges to sing live at the Super Bowl.
10. HOLY GUACAMOLE! PARTY-GOERS WILL CONSUME 158M AVOCADOS ON SUNDAY
A marvel of marketing muscle has made the green fruit the star at nearly every Super Bowl bash.