A kitchen fire damaged a unit in the Steinmetz Homes apartment complex this afternoon.
The Schenectady Fire Department received a call for a fire at 160 Steinmetz Homes, on Berg Road, around 2:15 p.m., according to Deputy Chief Kurt Gerfin. When firefighters arrived, he said they found the female occupant of the two-story apartment and her child outside and uninjured. Heavy smoke was seen coming out of the first and second floor door and windows.
Gerfin said the crews found the fire in the first-floor kitchen, where it was put down in 20 minutes and without any injuries. The residence suffered heavy smoke damage.
The female occupant was later taken to the hospital for a routine evaluation.
The fire is under investigation.