Subscriber login

News
What you need to know for 04/23/2017

Overloaded outlet blamed for Schenectady fire

Overloaded outlet blamed for Schenectady fire

Schenectady firefighters battled a two-alarm fire late Wednesday in the city's Northside neighborhoo

An overloaded electrical outlet is being blamed for a fire late Wednesday night on Avenue A that saw two parakeets rescued by firefighters, Fire Chief Michael Della Rocco said.

One resident was also injured, Della Rocco said, reportedly as he tried to extinguish the blaze himself.

A delay in calling firefighters, Della Rocco said, allowed the fire to grow.

Firefighters were called to the home at 1641 Avenue A for a fire on the second floor. The home sustained heavy fire damage to the front room on the second floor and the front of the attic, Della Rocco said. Smoke and water caused damage to the rest of the structure. The building, though, is believed to be structurally sound and can be repaired.

The home is situated near the corner of Avenue A and Kenwood Street, one block east of Van Vranken Avenue in the city’s Northside neighborhood.

The cause of the fire was traced to the overloaded outlet. The resident had a portable space heater connected to an extension cord. A multiple-outlet power strip was also plugged into the same outlet, Della Rocco said.

View Comments
Hide Comments
You have 0 articles 1 articles 2 articles 3 articles 4 articles 5 articles 6 articles 7 articles remaining of Daily Gazette free premium content.

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In