Subscriber login

News
What you need to know for 07/21/2017

Official: Child playing with lighter started fatal Gloversville fire

Official: Child playing with lighter started fatal Gloversville fire

Fire officials say the blaze that claimed the life of a city man on Fifth Avenue last week was start

Fire officials say the blaze that claimed the life of a city man on Fifth Avenue last week was started by a young child playing with a lighter.

Donald Larimore, 41, was pulled out of the one-family home at 34 Fifth Ave. on March 20 and taken to Nathan Littauer Hospital, where he died.

An autopsy at Albany Medical Center determined Larimore died from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide intoxication, according to Gloversville Fire Chief Beth Whitman-Putnam.

Three children escaped unharmed, and Marcus Vanslyke, 66, was taken to the hospital, treated and released.

During an investigation, police and fire officials determined a child set fire to a blanket.

Authorities are pointing out another factor that may have led to the fatality: the only smoke detector in the home didn't have a battery in it. According to the Whitman-Putnam, more than 100 fire incidents in New York state each year are rooted in children setting fires.

People interested in learning more about addressing youth and fire issues are urged to contact the Gloversville Fire Department at 725-3124.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium 5 premium 6 premium 7 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In