A total of 243 SUNY students statewide were honored with the 2013 Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence.
The award was created in 1997 to recognize students who have best demonstrated and been recognized for the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, campus involvement or career achievement.
Local students honored include:
• Adirondack Community College: James Cotten of Glens Falls, Mallory McGavin of Malta
• University at Albany: Emily Finnegan of Niskayuna, Jennifer Pollard of Rexford
• Binghamton University: Megan Watkins of Ballston Spa
• Empire State College: Lisa Michaels of Rotterdam
• Fulton-Montgomery Community College: Santa Pumpura of Balozi, Latvia, and Aaron White of Broadalbin
• Hudson Valley Community College: Devin Brady of Ballston Lake, Eugene Corcione of Albany, Fatima Hussain of Troy, Zachary Pearson of Ghent, Robert Spain of Albany, Matthew Whalen of Troy
• Onondaga Community College: Garrett Sisson of Schenectady
• Schenectady County Community College: John Donahue of Billerica, Mass., Rebekah Kimble of Scotia and Kenette Webster of the Bronx
Several area students were also recognized for being part of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society 2013 All-New York Academic Teams.
On the first team was Santa Pumpura of FMCC. On the second team was Samuel Clement and Rebekah Kimble of SCCC and Emma Tiner of SUNY Cobleskill. On the third team was Eva Cunningham and Jacqulyne Venditti of HVCC and Sarah Puffer of FMCC.