Fire officials believe a lightning strike sparked a blaze that routed city residents from their Walnut Street home Monday night.
Firefighters were called to 18 Walnut St. just before 7 p.m. and found smoke pouring out of the eaves, according to a release from Gloversville Fire Chief Beth Whitman-Putnam.
There were no injuries.
An elderly resident was escorted out of the two-story home before firefighters tore through a ceiling to get to the fire burning inside an attic area with no access.
Whitman-Putnam said thunderstorms were crossing through the area when the fire call came in, and investigators determined the home was struck by lightning.
Bricks from the chimney and siding above the home's electrical service showed evidence of lightning being the cause, the chief said.
The home sustained fire, heat, smoke and water damage in several areas.