Subscriber login

What you need to know for 01/21/2018

Man involved in 2000 Schenectady murder accused of robbing ex-girlfriend

Man involved in 2000 Schenectady murder accused of robbing ex-girlfriend

The youngest of the three teens involved in the November 2000 killing of pizza delivery man Hassan N

The youngest of the three teens involved in the November 2000 killing of pizza delivery man Hassan Noorzai at Yates Village was released from his juvenile murder sentence in April — and rearrested Thursday, authorities said.

The new charges against Isaiah Curry, 28, involve an alleged burglary and robbery of an ex-girlfriend at the same public housing complex where Curry and two other teens killed Noorzai nearly 13 years ago.

Curry was released from state custody in April after serving just more than 12 years of a 10-years-to-life sentence in Noorzai’s killing. Curry was to be under parole supervision for the rest of his life.

The two other teens, both legally adults at the time of the killing, remain incarcerated, each serving adult sentences of 50 years to life.

Curry apparently returned to Schenectady after his release, though his arrest record lists him as homeless.

On Thursday, police allege, he was back at Yates Village. At about 4 p.m., Curry forced his way into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment, punched the woman in the face and threw her into an aluminum screen door, injuring her left foot, according to papers filed in court.

In the process, according to papers, Curry stole a key from the woman.

She was treated for her foot injury at Ellis Hospital.

Curry faces felony counts of second-degree robbery, second-degree burglary and fourth-degree grand larceny. He also faces misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief, criminal impersonation and obstruction of governmental administration.

Curry was arraigned Friday morning and ordered held without bail. Before being led out of court, Curry fell to the floor and had to be removed, according to people at the arraignment. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

Curry also is being held for possible action by state parole authorities.

Curry left state custody April 5, records show. He arrived in the adult prison system from a juvenile facility in 2005. Juvenile offenders are held in juvenile facilities until they are older, officials said.

While inadult facilities, Curry had a minimal discipline record, officials said, apparently helping him obtain parole in April.

Police arrested Noorzai’s three killers within 48 hours of his death. Marty Humphrey and Theodore Haynes were 16 at time of the killing. Haynes pleaded guilty, while Humphrey was convicted after a trial.

Curry, who was 15 at the time, testified against Humphrey. His sentence consisted of one year for a prior robbery and nine years to life for the Noorzai murder, the maximum allowed at the time for a 15-year-old.

The three killed Noorzai inside a Yates Village apartment, luring him there by ordering pizza, soda and breadsticks Nov. 28, 2000. According to Curry’s testimony at Humphrey’s trial, Humphrey grabbed Noorzai while Haynes hit him with a bat. Humphrey then dragged Noorzai inside, where Haynes ultimately delivered the fatal blows.

The trio made off with $15. Curry’s cut was $5. They spent it on marijuana.

Noorzai was an immigrant from Afghanistan who had lived in the Capital Region for 18 years. He worked as a civil engineer until the firm where he was employed went bankrupt. He then became an assistant manager for Domino’s Pizza on State Street.

The family won a $1 million judgment in 2006 from the city Municipal Housing Authority for its response to an earlier pizza delivery robbery, also perpetrated by the teens.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium 5 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In