The man suspected of opening fire and killing another driver during a late-night car chase through Mont Pleasant has been taken into custody, police said Thursday.
The identify of the man, however, was not released by police as he has yet to be charged specifically with the crime. The suspect instead was arrested on unrelated charges and is being held without bail.
Police did not identify those charges, but they said the man is “a suspect responsible” for Tuesday night’s shooting of 24-year-old William Riddick of Albany.
Riddick was killed near the corner of Norwood Avenue and Woolsey Street after a chase of at least a mile through Mont Pleasant that is believed to have started at or gone past the corner of First Avenue and Orchard Street.
Authorities found shell casings at First and Orchard, as well as at Norwood and Woolsey.
Riddick was the driver of his car and may have had a passenger with him. After being shot, his car crashed through a fence around an athletic field behind Mont Pleasant Middle School.
A witness saw a second car close behind Riddick’s at the time of the crash.
The shooting was the second time Riddick had been shot in the past five years, records show. He was wounded in the leg in February 2009 in Albany. It was unclear if there was ever an arrest in that case.
The shooting of Riddick late Wednesday was the second fatal shooting in the city this year. The first came Aug. 30, and Emmanuel F. Martinez, 28, of Schenectady, was arrested within days and charged with murder. He is accused of shooting and killing Jose “Mikey” Torres at Torres’ house on Becker Street. Martinez is also accused of shooting Luis Gomez, who survived the attack.