Subscriber login

Welcome to our new site. You will need to reset your password if this is your first time logging in. Please click here to reset your password.
News
School Closings

Man is charged in Schenectady shooting death that followed car chase

Man is charged in Schenectady shooting death that followed car chase

City police have accused a parole violator already in custody on a drug charge of gunning down an Al

City police have accused a parole violator already in custody on a drug charge of gunning down an Albany man during a vehicle chase in Schenectady’s Mont Pleasant neighborhood Nov. 12.

Nicholas M. Khan, 20, is awaiting an appearance in City Court, during which he’ll be formally charged with felony second-degree murder. Khan, who was on parole for a 2010 conviction on attempted possession of a weapon, was picked by police up on a drug charge Nov. 14, just two days after 24-year-old William Riddick was gunned down while driving near the Mont Pleasant Middle School.

District Attorney Robert Carney said Khan was in a vehicle pursuit of Riddick when he fired the fatal shots. He said the shooting appeared to stem from a previous incident involving the men.

“[Khan] was the shooter from a pursuit car,” he said. “We believe it was in retaliation for a prior robbery.”

Riddick was killed near the corner of Norwood Avenue and Woolsey Street after a chase of at least a mile through Mont Pleasant that is believed to have started at or gone past the corner of First Avenue and Orchard Street. Authorities found shell casings at First and Orchard, as well as at Norwood and Woolsey.

Riddick was the driver of his car and may have had a passenger with him. After he was shot, his car crashed through a fence around an athletic field behind Mont Pleasant Middle School. A witness saw a second car close behind Riddick’s at the time of the crash.

Riddick had previously been shot in the leg in Albany, in February 2009.

Khan, for his part, had been indicted at age 16 on four counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment. He was accused of possessing loaded .38-caliber and .22-caliber handguns.

He later was convicted of second-degree attempted criminal possession of a weapon and sentenced to serve up to three years in prison in August 2010, according to state Department of Corrections records. He was released to parole in December 2012, less than a month before he would have served out the maximum term of incarceration on his sentence.

View Comments
Hide Comments
You have 0 articles 1 articles 2 articles 3 articles 4 articles 5 articles 6 articles 7 articles remaining of Daily Gazette free premium content.

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In