Bruce Albert sold a mobile home on Zephyr Lane for $11,000, a nice sum considering he didn’t own it, according to police.
City police said the 58-year-old city man was still living in the home when he put it up for sale. Lt. Robert Jillson said he was paying the new owner rent when he signed a contract to sell the home for a second time.
“We researched it and found the paperwork showing that he sold it to someone else,” Jillson said. “He had no legal ability to sell the trailer.”
And that’s why, police say, Albert is now facing a felony grand larceny charge. He was arraigned last week in Saratoga Springs City Court and ordered held in the Saratoga County jail in lieu of $1,000 cash bail or $3,000 bond.
“Just because you’re living in it doesn’t mean you can sell it,” Jillson said.
Jillson said Albert’s address is known to police, who have been there on other occasions. He’s the subject of an Article 78 proceeding in which he’s demanding the city turn over video footage taken inside the Saratoga Springs Police Department’s cell block while he was held there in August.
Albert initially summoned police to his residence late in the evening Aug. 4 after reportedly having an argument with a neighbor. Police ultimately placed Albert under arrest on a disorderly conduct charge and brought him to a holding cell at the department.
Albert filed a request under the state’s Freedom of Information Law to Saratoga County, asking for a recording of the 911 call he made on the evening he was taken into custody and also a subsequent call made by city police sometime during the predawn hours after his arrest. Court documents filed in the proceedings allege city officers had “improper physical contact” with Albert while he was in his holding cell and an outside walkway.
Kevin Luibrand, the attorney representing Albert in the civil matter, said the city has since filled some of the request, but he said there are still parts of the material he requested that are being withheld.
“We adjourned the Jan. 2 return date to have the opportunity to try and work out the city providing the remainder of the video recordings without requiring a ruling by Judge (Thomas) Nolan,” he said in an email Thursday.