The Former Black Pearl Inn on Route 20 in the village of Sharon Springs caught fire Saturday evening.
Flames were spotted shortly after 5 p.m. according to Schoharie County Sheriff Tony Desmond. Within minutes, firefighters from the Sharon Springs, Cobleskill, Cherry Valley, Ames, and Carlisle fire departments were on the scene, arching streams of water onto the roof.
The building, formerly the Hollywood Hotel, housed a number of restaurants over the years. Most recently it was home to the Black Pearl Inn, which moved to Richmondville a few months ago.
According to Desmond, the building was purchased last week. The buyers had workmen in the building Saturday repairing the roof.
“They had propane torches in there installing some rubber sheeting,” he said. “They left for the day and 20 minutes later the place caught on fire.”
The sheriff said the building suffered significant fire and water damage. It is unclear at this point if the new owners will rebuild.