Firefighters stopped a blaze at a downtown Schenectady clothing store Friday night before it could spread to connected buildings.
Deputy Fire Chief Kurt Gerfin said firefighters were called around 6 p.m. to a report of a fire in the Trustco Bank building on State Street, but there wasn’t a fire there when they arrived.
A firefighter got on a ladder truck and spotted smoke coming from Rudnick’s clothing store next door, at 308 State St. Rudnick’s is in the middle of a stretch of several connected State Street buildings near Erie Boulevard.
Gerfin said a space heater was running in a rear room on the first floor, and firefighters also found arcing wires nearby.
It was unclear immediately if the space heater damaged the wires and caused the fire or if the wires were to blame, Gerfin said.
The rear room sustained fire, smoke and water damage. The rest of the building sustained smoke damage.