<> After three days of freedom, man shot by Schenectady police is wanted again | The Daily Gazette

Subscriber login


After three days of freedom, man shot by Schenectady police is wanted again

After three days of freedom, man shot by Schenectady police is wanted again

The knife-wielding man who rushed at police officers and was shot in the lobby of The Daily Gazette

The knife-wielding man who rushed at officers and was shot three times in the lobby of The Daily Gazette in 2011 was released from state prison Friday but may be going back soon, state officials said.

Just three days after Elvis Norwood’s release, a warrant was issued Monday for his arrest for allegedly violating terms of his release.

Norwood, now 23, pleaded guilty last year to one count of menacing a police officer. He was then sentenced to 21⁄2 years in state prison. With time served, he was released Friday.

A state spokeswoman Monday said she could only confirm that the warrant had been issued for Norwood’s arrest, not discuss the circumstances.

With his release, Norwood was placed under parole supervision for a period of three years, through Feb. 28, 2017.

He had to live in Albany County and follow a list of rules under supervision, ranging from seeking or maintaining employment or schooling to abiding by a curfew set by his parole officer.

If he is found in violation of the rules, he could face added prison time.

At Norwood’s sentencing in February 2013, Schenectady County Court Judge Karen Drago called for greater resources for the mentally ill.

Norwood suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and authorities said it appeared he was off his medication and having a psychotic episode when he lunged at officers with the knife on Oct. 8, 2011.

The incident happened on a Saturday, when The Gazette office is closed to the public.

A guard let Norwood in when he asked for water, but then he refused to leave. Witnesses said he appeared drowsy, medicated and “very vacant-looking” when he arrived.

Only later was it determined that he had a knife. Police were called and Norwood soon rushed them. Officer Brett Ferris fired four shots, hitting him three times.

No one else was hurt.

Norwood was hit in the arm, chest and stomach but fully recovered from his wounds by the time of his sentencing.

He apologized for his actions at his sentencing. He also told the judge that he learned he had to take his medication.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In