Subscriber login

News
What you need to know for 08/22/2017

Smoking FMCC student causes small dorm fire

Smoking FMCC student causes small dorm fire

A small fire broke out in a dorm at Fulton-Montgomery Community College in Johnstown Sunday morning

A small fire broke out in a dorm at Fulton-Montgomery Community College in Johnstown Sunday morning caused by a student smoking in his room.

The fire occurred at about 2:30 a.m. in Raider Hall, according to school officials. The Berkshire Fire Department responded to the incident and students were evacuated from the residence hall with no reported injuries.

The fire was contained to one room, which was caused by a cigarette in a trashcan. The room sustained water damage from the ceiling’s sprinklers, along with five other rooms nearby.

The college’s buildings and grounds team cleaned the rooms and provided dehumidifiers to dry them. Students returned to their rooms shortly after.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium 5 premium 6 premium 7 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In