A Niskayuna family is homeless after a fire broke out at their two-story home Tuesday afternoon.
Niskayuna Fire District 2 Chief Charlie Friderici said the fire appears to have been started by a short circuit in a ceiling fan on the second floor of the home at 648 Maple Lane.
“It appears to be an accidental electrical fire,” he said. “The house is pretty close to a total loss.”
The call came in at 2:35 p.m. It took Niskayuna District 2 and Stanford Heights firefighters about 45 minutes to put the fire out. The owner of the house was home at the time, and got out fine, Friderici said. A family of four lived there.