A man sought since 2012 in connection with a safe heist has been captured in Virginia, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
The theft netted the suspect and a co-defendant little more than papers and the safe itself, prosecutors said.
The owner, fearing someone might be planning to steal the safe, had already cleared valuables from it — and set up surveillance cameras to catch whoever might come to take it, prosecutor William Sanderson said.
Edward Fazzone, 28, formerly of Scotia, was captured recently in Virginia. He faces one count of second-degree burglary, a felony, in connection with the July 17, 2012, break-in at the Pleasant Street residence.
Fazzone and co-defendant Guiseppe Correra, 50, formerly of Sumner Avenue, were accused of prying open a side door and making off with the safe, a portable fire-proof type.
By then, though, the safe had been cleared of anything valuable by the owner, Sanderson said. The owner actually feared someone else she knew would try to steal it.
After the theft, she immediately recognized Correra on the camera footage, Sanderson said. He said further investigation soon showed the second man to be Fazzone.
“That was very helpful,” Sanderson said of the footage.
The safe itself was never recovered.
Correra was arrested within days and charged with second-degree burglary. He later pleaded guilty to third-degree burglary and is serving 16 months to four years in state prison.
Fazzone was quickly identified as a suspect, Sanderson said, but authorities weren’t able to locate him until recently. Sanderson believed Fazzone was arrested after some sort of police interaction in Virginia. He was returned to Schenectady County last week.
Fazzone also still faces charges predating the burglary, one misdemeanor and one felony, both involving threats to shoot a woman.