About 30 horses were safely evacuated during a fire early Friday at a Saratoga Casino and Raceway barn.
Barn 15, off Gridley Avenue, sustained serious structural damage, but firefighters, horsemen and security personnel were able to evacuate the barn’s harness-racing horses without any injuries, said Saratoga Springs Fire Chief Robert Williams. “It was a full barn,” he said.
Firefighters responded to the 6:02 a.m. call to find a significant blaze underway at the west end of the building, rising into the attic, Williams said. It took about a half-hour to bring the flames under control.
He said the cause has been determined to be accidental from an unattended electrical appliance used to warm water for the animals.
Williams said the barn sustained significant damage, but is repairable.