City fire investigators hope to get a better look today at the basement of the Eagle Street apartment house destroyed by fire Wednesday.
Investigators believe the fire began accidentally somewhere in the basement of 16 Eagle St., with a mechanical failure of some type, Fire Chief Raymond Senecal said Thursday. A furnace, washer, dryer and hot water heater were down there.
Crews knocked the building down Thursday, leaving a pile of rubble. Once that rubble is cleared, investigators hope to narrow down the source, Senecal said.
No residents were injured in the fire, which Senecal credited to the apartment house’s smoke detectors. He said investigators believe all were working.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury fighting the blaze.
In all, the fire left 17 people at 16 Eagle St. without an apartment to return home to. Eight others in houses to either side had to wait until electrical inspections cleared their buildings before they could return home, Senecal said.