The accidental release of mace is being blamed for an incident Friday night at a Ruby Tuesday's restaurant that reportedly left five people ill and forced the evacuation of the building on Balltown Road.
"On the evening of Friday, May 23, we briefly evacuated our restaurant on Balltown Road in Niskayuna ... due to the accidental release of a keychain-sized container of mace in the building that evening," the restaurant chain said in an emailed statement Saturday. "The safety and wellness of our guests and team members are always our utmost concern. After the incident, our staff completed a thorough cleaning of the restaurant. As a result of the steps the staff has taken, we are open for service, and it is completely safe for guests to dine at the restaurant."
According to media reports, the five who were sickened in the 7 p.m. incident were taken to a local hospital simply to be checked out, and all were released.
The chain is asking anyone with questions or concerns about the incident to email firstname.lastname@example.org.