A Schenectady man sustained minor injuries after trying to put out a fire that broke out on the second floor of a Plum Street home Thursday.
Deputy Chief Scott Doherty said the department received a call around 11:35 a.m. for a fire at 2075 Plum St. in the city’s Upper Union Street neighborhood. The blaze was confined to the second floor and took just 30 minutes to put out.
“We don’t have a cause yet, but it’s not considered suspicious at this point,” he said.
The two-story, single family home sustained “substantial damage” to the second floor but can be repaired, Doherty said. Three residents, all adults, were displaced but will stay with relatives in the meantime.
Apparently the man who discovered the fire tried to put it out himself before calling the Fire Department, Doherty said, and received “minor burns” in the process.
“When confronted by a fire, they should call the Fire Department immediately and get out,” he said.
“It was well beyond his capability.”