Subscriber login

What you need to know for 10/21/2017

Juvenile murder convict headed back to prison

Juvenile murder convict headed back to prison

Isaiah Curry will be returning to state prison for a very long time after his conviction Friday on r

Isaiah Curry will be returning to state prison for a long time after his conviction Friday on robbery and burglary charges.

At the time of his arrest, Curry was already on parole after serving about 11 years of his juvenile sentence for his role in the November 2000 baseball bat killing of pizza delivery man Hassan Noorzai at Yates Village. Curry was 15 at the time.

A Schenectady County Court jury Friday afternoon found the 28-year-old Curry guilty after deliberating a little more than an hour, prosecutor Brian Gray said. The jury found Curry assaulted his ex-girlfriend last September in the same public housing complex where Curry helped kill Noorzai 13 years earlier. He stole the key to her apartment and then went inside and ransacked it.

The jury convicted Curry of robbery, burglary and grand larceny. The robbery and burglary counts carry sentences of up to 15 years in prison. They are also considered separate acts, making Curry eligible for consecutive sentences totaling up to 30 years.

Gray said Friday he intends to ask for the maximum at Curry’s July sentencing, noting he has now been convicted twice of violent felonies. Whatever sentence Curry receives will be in addition to extra time he will receive for violating his parole. Curry was under lifetime supervision for the 2000 killing.

His age at the time of the killing meant he received a juvenile murder sentence totaling 10 years to life in prison. His co-defendants in the murder case, one of whom delivered the fatal blows, were both 16 at the time and are now serving sentences of 50 years to life.

The three teens lured Noorzai to Yates Village by ordering pizza, soda and breadsticks. The trio made off with $15 that they spent on marijuana.

Noorzai was an immigrant from Afghanistan who had lived in the Capital Region for 18 years.

Curry was released after 10 years, then returned for an extra year on a violation. He was released again in April 2013 and stopped reporting to parole officers in June 2013. He wasn’t found until the Sept. 19 incident at Yates Village involving his ex-girlfriend.

In that incident, Gray argued to the jury that Curry shoved the woman into a wall, punched her and kicked her after she came outside and refused to let him in. In the process, he took her apartment key and went inside anyway. He proceeded to ransack the place, pulling food out of the refrigerator and breaking items.

The act of taking the key was increased to second-degree robbery and grand larceny because he forcibly took it from her.

The prosecution’s case was bolstered by a jailhouse phone call Curry made as he was being booked into the Schenectady County jail. On the call, which was recorded, Curry spoke with a woman and admitted to elements of the crime, Gray argued.

He also encouraged the woman to try to intimidate the victim into not cooperating. Soon after, the woman was visited by a group of angry women who tried to do just that, Gray said.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium 5 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In