The kids are out of school, the cousins are clamoring for a visit. Summer is here.
So what to do on all those long, lazy, hot days?
The Gazette is ready to help. We’ll be running daily stories, right through Labor Day, with ideas on how to fill your summer days.
It might be a trip to a lakeside beach on a hot day, or a visit to a museum on a rainy one. Our writers will share their favorite hikes and swimming holes. They’ll take you boating and skating, rock climbing or picnicking, to an outdoor concert or a quiet spot for a cool, refreshing beverage.
It’s all in a summer’s day.
We’re looking for your input too: What is your favorite thing to do — or place to visit — in the summer? When out-of-towners come to visit, what’s the one place you absolutely must show them?
Send us your ideas at www.dailygazette.com/summerdays or email them to email@example.com.
And just to get summer rolling along, here’s a list of a few places where you can get homemade ice cream in the area.
Enjoy! Summer won’t last forever.
• Dairy Haus, 476 Maple Ave., Saratoga Springs. 232-1086. www.dairyhaus.com.
Homemade hard and soft ice cream, with flavors that include Nutella, Banana Coconut Cream Pie and Hazelnut Mochaccino. Plus all the standards.
Open daily, 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
• Toll Gate Ice Cream, 1569 New Scotland Road, Slingerlands. 439-9824, www.tollgateicecream.com.
Try their award-winning Peanut Butter & Jelly ice cream, or one of their traditional or “outrageous” flavors. Open daily, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• The Ice Cream Man, 417 Route 29, Greenwich. Local ingredients, seasonal flavors. Open daily 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. 692-8382, www.the-ice-cream-man.com.
There’s a second shop in Saratoga Springs, at 146 S. Broadway. Hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, and until 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 580-0626.
• Scoup’s Homemade Ice Cream, 566 Albany-Shaker Road, Loudonville. 935-2308, or on Facebook.
Homemade hard ice cream and Italian ice. Specialty flavors vary, from pistachio to Banana Oreo to Root Beer Float.
Open daily, noon to 9 p.m.
• The Snowman Ice Cream, 531 Fifth Ave., Troy. 233-1714, www.thesnowmanicecream.com.
From Orange Pineapple to Kahlua Fudge Almond, the Snowman makes more than 30 flavors of hard ice cream, sherbet and frozen yogurt.
Open daily, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., and weekends from noon to 9:30 p.m.
• Moxie’s Ice Cream, 1344 Spring Ave. Wynantskill. 283-4901 or Facebook.
Like vanilla? Moxie’s makes six different varieties of vanilla ice cream, as well as a wide range of less common flavors. Cajun, anyone?
Open daily, 1:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Know of another great place for homemade ice cream? Let us know about it.