Due to security concerns overseas, the Shenendehowa Central School District has canceled all foreign travel by student groups until February.
School officials said today that the ban will end Feb. 24, when the overseas travel alert issued by the U.S. State Department for American citizens is lifted.
Shen Superintendent Dr. L. Oliver Robinson said the ban affects four previously scheduled Shen trips: to France (39 students), Italy (38), Costa Rica (30) and Ecuador (30).
All four trips had been planned for February. Shen officials said the ban will be re-evaluated after Feb. 24.
While Kelly DeFeciani, Shen’s public-information specialist, said she understands that students will be disappointed by the decision, “Making sure they are safe is what’s most important right now.”