Update: Boston Magazine has printed a rebuttal. We stand by the Electric City.
According to Boston Magazine, General Electric's Chief Technology Officer Vic Abate has shocked some locals by his decision to shun their city and remain in Niskayuna, even though GE's new headquarters are in Fort Point.
Sure, Boston is big city, with its beautiful brownstones on Beacon Hill, and you can get a lobster on every corner for about 15 cents ... but there are plenty of reasons we can think of why we would probably prefer to stay in Schenectady County — Nisky in particular.
• They have Beacon Hill; we have the Stockade.
• Real estate this way is bigger, better and more affordable.
• The Electric City is a better nickname than Beantown.
• The Freedom Trail has nothing on the Mohawk Hudson trail.
• We’ll take Union College over Harvard any day.
• The Italian food scene in Schenectady could rival any place in Boston's North End.
• Vacationing in the Adirondacks is way better than crowded Cape Cod.
• The Wahlbergs might be your native sons, but we have Mickey Rourke.
• Boston can't boast being the home of both Price Chopper and the New York Lottery.
• Have fun with the suits at GE’s new Fort Point headquarters! We’ll keep the awesome scientists and engineers who make all the cool stuff with us!