The man convicted in a scheme to defraud classic car owners was returned to jail again Monday after losing another appeal of his conviction, officials said.
Ferdinando "Fred" Perillo, 66, was convicted and sentenced in 2015 to 5.5 to 11 years in state prison after a jury found he fraudulently sold a 1976 Chevrolet Nova and took thousands of dollars for auto parts that were never delivered. At his sentencing, the judge called him a "career con man" unrepentant for his crimes.
Perillo began serving his sentence then, but soon won the first of two reprieves from appeals courts. The first court, the Appellate Division of state Supreme Court, released him on bail pending its decision. They rejected his arguments in a November ruling and the trial judge ordered him back to jail in December.
Then the state's highest court, the Court of Appeals, stepped in and allowed him to be released again days later pending his appeal to that court. The second reprieve ended Monday. The Court of Appeals had declined to hear the case earlier this month, allowing the trial judge to order Perillo back into custody, prosecutor Michael DeMatteo said.
Still to be determined is the amount of restitution Perillo will have to pay. While rejecting the defense's core conviction arguments, the Appellate Division in November ordered a hearing on restitution. That hearing is set for April 3, DeMatteo said.
Judge Frank P. Milano presided over Perillo's trial and Monday's court appearance.